January 12, 2007

Once A Week, Every Week

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There are some foods that I eat so regularly that I forget other people might not and might therefore want to hear about them. At my house, every Friday is Fish Friday and every Fish Friday starts with an appetizer of mussels. As far as seafood goes, mussels are cheap and they’re easy and quick to prepare so there’s no reason for you not to be eating them more often. For the most part, we do mussels like this: steamed in white wine and then drenched in a sauce of melted butter, garlic and a little hot sauce. Delicious.

Some people don’t like seafood and unless you’re deathly allergic, (you poor souls) then I can see no reason for this dislike. I’ve heard some say that they don’t eat mussels because of the texture. To that I say Good! More mussels for me. My week in Cuba was a whole lot of more mussels for me! I couldn’t believe the people who didn’t like seafood, (and let me tell you, Cuba was the wrong place to be if seafood is not for you). But that was fine, it just meant I had twice as many mussels, shrimp, squid and lobster tails. I miss the little guys… every tasty morsel.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yesterday I showed you the Cuban sun and blue skies, today I’m showing you the moon. It was almost like daylight it was so bright. Aside from the beauty factor, the extra light was great because it allowed me to avoid things like the bull that roamed around my villa at night. He seemed friendly enough, but considering his large horns I didn’t really want to trip over him, especially in any sort of rum induced state. Curiously enough I never saw him during the day. And don’t even try to tell me it was the rum that made me see Mr. Bull, because I was drinking it all day too, there’s nothing like a 9am pina colada…


Technorati Tags:
+ +

11 comments:

David said...

I have to say I'm one of those who's leaving more mussels for you...though you do make me think maybe I should give them another try!

wheresmymind said...

Oh man...I do love Moules!

K and S said...

I don't like mussels much, so you can have my share. Although, I think I should try eating more seafood this year...hmmm...

Gattina Cheung said...

The moonlight and around looks so magical! But bull?!?!?!?!...
Yeah, I heard people said all odd things about how they dislike mussels (texture, its look). Good! I'm too happy to help out empty your plate!

Lis said...

We eat mussels quite a bit here too.. all kinds of seafood for that matter. We prepare them pretty much the same as well - although sometimes I'll add a lil diced tomato and fresh parsley. And always a good crusty bread to sop up the mussel juice goodness! :D

Now I've got to re-read the introduction to the La Mia Cucina book - I could have swore it talked about bread. Dammit. But yes! I heart your bread posts - so go make more! =)

FH said...

Photo of the Mussels is gorgeous!!Cuban pic is little scary,dark and mysterious!:))Werewolves are out?!

Anonymous said...

That photo looks almost like a painting. It is incredible...almost magical. Very nice shot!

Lauren said...

I just read your post that I missed - I'm quite jealous!!

I'm not big on mussles but I like the way you plated them. We usually do mussels for our christmas eve dinner maybe next try I'll again.. haha

I'll make you a a deal how about when I move you send me some muffins? haha.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of mussels, though I haven't had any yet on the East coast. I had a beautiful Chilean mussel dish the last time I was in Victoria - very citrussy, but spicy.

Unknown said...

I *heart* seafood.The more seafood the happier I am!!!!! Cuba looks beautiful!Lucky girl!

Pamela said...

I absolutely, totally and utterly ADORE mussels. It is the one thing I am missing during my pregnancy and top of my list to have once the baby comes!!!

Your mussels looks yummy!