September 16, 2008

Elephant Ears

The move is now complete and much to my surprise was not as difficult as it could have been. The forecast was for rain on the day I moved and with an open trailer transporting most of my stuff, this was not a good thing. But the sun came out in full force and it was 31°C and humid while everything was packed into the car and trailer. This wasn’t exactly pleasant weather to be moving heavy boxes around in, (cookbooks weigh a ton) but it was better than the torrent of rain that arrived later that afternoon. The best part of the move though was that I managed to sneak away from my apartment without running into The Landlord or Ozzy. Considering the two of them were making daily unannounced visits to my place in the week leading up to my move, this was surprising indeed. I’m free of them forever! Almost. Ozzy’s last serenade, (a 4am special performance that was played on repeat with him accompanying the music on both guitar and vocals) has somehow stuck in my head. If you’re into Journey, the late 1970’s to early 80’s and power ballads, you should recognize these lyrics, which are somehow oddly appropriate:


Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world

She took the midnight train going anywhere.


Because of the move and packing and unpacking I’m late to the party but I’m hoping Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy will still let me in to her Blogiversary Bash, especially if I bring these cinnamon palmiers. With only three ingredients these are ridiculously easy to make, look fantastic, make your house smell like cinnabons when you bake them and will have people begging for more if you serve them at a party. And if you don’t like calling them palmiers, they’re also called Elephant Ears which I think is the most adorable name ever and in my opinion makes them exponentially better.


Cinnamon Palmiers, (or Elephant Ears!)


Puff pastry, (which you can make yourself if you’re feeling intrepid, but it’s perfectly ok to buy it too)

Sugar

Cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Roll out the puff pastry and spread with cinnamon and sugar, as much or as little as you like. Beginning at one end roll up the puff pastry until you reach the half way point. Then, start rolling up the other end until the two rolls meet in the middle. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes to make it easier to cut. Remove from the freezer and slice the roll into half inch pieces and dip one side in more cinnamon sugar and place on baking tray. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden, let cool on tray.

22 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Hooray, the move is over! And what better way to celebrate than with palmiers? Easy and delicious.

Webinsider said...

Hello Brilynn:

I am a fellow blogger who learned it the hard way that getting traffic for a blog is a very painful process.

After being frustrated for several months, I started a project so that we bloggers can help each other in growing our reader base.

http://blogoxy.com

Blogoxy guarantees to bring more readers to your blog. Take a look and please give me your feedback.

Best Regards,
~deek

Manggy said...

YAY! You're free! I hope you do make it to Susan's bash :)

Snooky doodle said...

these look cute and yummy .

Dharm said...

Those look just great! I tried these once before but they didnt look as nice as yours do!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are just too simple and delicious to not try:D

Anonymous said...

Moving and rising to a baking challenge - you must have a super hero cape in your closet somewhere!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how easy! I may even try these today!! I have been feeling sooooo lazy and uninspired since getting back from holiday that this is the only kind of thing that gets me going right now!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

These are best brought late, all the good people get in on it!
HooRay for the move! The song should fad quickly in the glow of peace and elephant ears!

kat said...

who knew these were so easy to make?

Anita said...

I have heard the most creative names for palmiers: angel wings, shoe soles, but I like elephant ears the best! Glad to hear your move went well!

Deborah said...

I'm glad the move went well - and now the fun part. UNPACKING!!

I've never had elephant ears before, but since they are so easy, I'm not going to be able to pass them up anymore!

Maria said...

Glad you made it to the party! These look awesome!
So you are all moved? good for you! I hope you get settled soon!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Glad the move went well! I adore palmiers! But calling them elephant ears is just adorable!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those Elephant's Ears look delicious! I'd love to eat one of them with my coffee!

cheers,

Rosa

Marysol said...

We have a treat around here called elephant ears which are sold at local fairs every summer. Basically, fried dough with cinnamon/sugar heavily sprinkled onto it.
And every time I eat one, I feel like Fatty McButterpants. But, yours look and sound far more sinful and easy to make. And who wouldn't love that?

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog I love to read it and elephant Ear looks yummy.

Esi said...

I just discovered how easy it is to work with puff pastry. I will have to try these!

jasmine said...

Oh thank goodness you've escaped...but tell us...really...won't you miss them the *teensiest bit*?

j

Gabi said...

So glad you made it to the party and I love palmiers so all the better! Glad your move went smoothly and that you got the crazies out of your life- I was really worried there for a bit :)
xo

Mike of Mike's Table said...

They look simple and delicious...and I like "elephant ears" better as a name, too. ;-)

thecoffeesnob said...

Congrats on the big move!

I love that song- especially with Journey's new lead singer :)