April 17, 2008

Time Goes Back

I feel like I’m living in the past. Maybe it’s because I’m putting up another post that would have been more appropriate 2 months ago when I actually made this dish. Hearty risotto and ribs are great when it’s cold outside, (like in February) and you want something to fill you up and keep you warm. It’s not generally what you crave when the weather is balmy and patios are all the rage again, (I wish I had a patio...). I suppose, however, that you could do these ribs on the bbq instead of in the oven and they’d be pretty nice for an outdoor dinner. The risotto might need to be replaced with potato salad though.

But I digress, when I read a claim of ribs in under an hour over at The Kitchen Sink, I was immediately intrigued. They looked absolutely amazing but could you really make ribs in under an hour? The answer is yes. These ribs were pretty good. They weren’t fall off the bone tender like would be achieved by cooking them low and slow for hours on end, but if you don’t have all day to make ribs, these are a very good substitute and will definitely satisfy a rib craving.

As for the risotto, I’ve posted twice before about wild mushroom risottos, (here and here) and have made many other risottos that I haven’t posted about, usually because I don’t follow a recipe when making it. Once you have the basic technique for making risotto the flavour possibilities are endless. You can pretty much turn anything into a risotto. If only everything were so easy.


Chinese Barbecued Baby Back Ribs (Gourmet, November 2007)

3 tablespoons chopped peeled ginger
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons honey
4 pounds baby back ribs (2 to 4 racks)

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Line a 17- by 12- by 1-inch baking pan with foil.
Purée ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and oil in a blender, then transfer to a bowl and whisk in hoisin sauce and honey. Reserve 1/2 cup sauce and coat ribs with remainder.
Arrange ribs, meaty sides down, in pan and bake, turning and basting once with some of reserved sauce halfway through baking, until cooked through, about 40 minutes.
Turn on broiler. Brush ribs, meaty sides up, with remaining sauce. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until edges are lightly charred, 4 to 8 minutes.

Technorati Tags:

+ +

33 comments:

Manggy said...

Wait-- aren't ribs best not when it's cold, but when the sun is high? :) The answer is NO! Ribs are great anytime!! (uh, of course I am a 26y/o guy who wants his meat.) I could sure use some of your Chinese-style ribs! I think a baked potato would be nice to go with them, or maybe fried rice :)

creampuff said...

Oh my I totally love ribs and will eat them at any time of year! Love the recipe!

RecipeGirl said...

Oh, I agree that if you have the time to slow roast the ribs then they're the best. When I used to cater parties (back in the day) we slow roasted at like 200 degrees for several hours and then took them to the party and threw them on the grill for a short time to finish them off. They were awesome that way!

K and S said...

sounds like something my mother makes, brings back memories of home :)

Nina Timm said...

Those ribs look mighty fine to me. I love the Chinese flavors....

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I think these ribs sound great, with honey and hoisin. To me, ribs don't have a time of year -- I can eat them any time. Whenever I cook something on the bone that I want to grill, I do some pre-cooking in the oven, then throw them on the grill for a few minutes to char the outside.

Susan @ SGCC said...

We're equal opportunity rib lovers here! We'll eat them anytime!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Bri, that looks delicious! My dad would flip over the ribs. And I'll eat risotto anytime. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, ribs... BBQ sauce! Your photos make me remember my pre-vegetarian days. :) I used to love eating ribs at summer picnics so if you ask me the timing of this post is perfect!

Ari (Baking and Books)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Are you sure you'd want a patio? Wouldn't that guy come out?

The ribs look beautiful and would be good on the patio or inside!

LyB said...

I love ribs and will eat them any time a craving strikes! As for risotto, same thing, I've been known to slave over a hot stove in the middle of summer! :) Everything looks delicious!

Deborah said...

I can eat ribs year round - despite the weather or season! And these have my mouth watering right now!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

We have snow forecast for Saturday, so this is a perfect post!

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm I don't care what the weather is I could eat chinese spare ribs come rain or shine. Delish!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, those ribs look smokin'! All sticky and sensuous and mouthfuls of goodness - yumm!

Lore said...

Gingery ribs? Oh boy! And there's honey too. Count on me eating them anytime!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

This sounds delicious to me! You can never go wrong with ribs.

I'm also quite glad to see another food blogger has such a backlog of posts. I have a cache of winter dishes I made that I hadn't written up yet and I know how weather appropriate they'll be now that we're almost into summer, lol.

Anonymous said...

They were delicious! We had them this evening! Thank you~
Monique,QC,Canada.

Veron said...

these are my absolute favorite way to have ribs!Asian style with soy sauce and garlic!

Anonymous said...

Well ribs is big today! These look delicious.

KJ said...

I love ribs. These sound delicious. I can eat ribs any old time

Anonymous said...

past or not, those look fantastic! mmmmmm, i love ribs so much i'd eat them on a hot summer day!

Mama Mia said...

those ribs look bomb! I want some of that!

Cynthia said...

This is the kind of step backward that I do not mind at all!

Emily said...

An Asian twist on ribs sounds wonderful. I love ribs, but I don't often get to eat them.

jasmine said...

These look amazing. I'll have to try them after Beelzebub is replaced...I'd expect his broiler to incinerate, not broil...

j

Anonymous said...

Love this twist on a favorite! We've tried a similar recipe... and mmmm!
I have to say... I am a summer rib eater, but it is great to know that with recipes like this we can have them anytime.

Peabody said...

Yum, yum. Who doesn't love ribs.

Anonymous said...

I would like the entire meal, please. Do you ship? :-)

Elizabeth said...

I don't care that it's 23C and sunny right now. The ribs and risotto look fabulous. I wish we were having that tonight!

-Elizabeth

Annie said...

Don't feel bad about not having a patio. I have a deck but I can't enjoy it because as soon as I go outside I get attacked by bugs. I don't think I sat outside once last summer. And I hate putting on bug spray. I need a screen house!

The ribs looks great, I could definately go for some right now!

Anonymous said...

I used to make Chinese style ribs all the time but haven't in quite a while. Thanks for the reminder about such a great recipe...especially with grilling season upon us!

Helene said...

I beg to differ: ribs are good any time of the year :)
They are making me very very very hungry. What was that again? Oh yeah, *very*...