December 11, 2007

Does This Look Familiar?

It should be no surprise that I liked this recipe given my affinity for cognac in cakes and ice cream, so why not in a savoury dish? After seeing the recipe in my favourite Steamy Kitchen I knew I had to make it as part of the Jumbo & Jaden Project. Malaysian Coconut Butter Prawns, (with cognac!) is already a proven hit as it’s a recipe that Jaden chose to make on one of her, (now becoming numerous) TV appearances. If you want some more assurance that this is a fabulous recipe, Jaden adapted her version from none other than the super blog Rasa Malaysia, that’s two heavy weights backing this dish so you’ve gotta love it. Once again though, this is a recipe that I made before the move as I’m no longer fortunate enough to have a liquor cabinet that contains such wonders as Cognac, (heck, I don’t even have a liquor cabinet period) and I’m still clearing out my archive. Hopefully I’ll make something wonderful here soon… and then I’ll eat Mr. Noodle for the next week to balance out my grocery bill.

I had such high hopes for my new place that I think I was destined for disaster from the very beginning. When I initially moved in I couldn’t believe the state of the apartment and that someone had actually been living in such filth. I piled up my belongings into the middle of the living room so that they would touch as little as possible and for the next three days I scrubbed and vacuumed and inhaled way too much chemical cleaner in an attempt to disinfect everything. Slowly, and with a lot of elbow grease, I think it’s finally coming together and becoming something that I can live in. If only I could get the initial images of how it looked out of my head… Apartment woes aside, being back in the city means I have access to a wealth of ingredients that are probably never going to be attainable at my previous residence. Like pomegranate molasses! The mere fact that I see ingredients like that on store shelves here is inspiring. I saw it and for some reason immediately decided I needed to buy it in order to make a roasted cauliflower soup with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses on top. I’ll let you know how it goes.




Technorati Tags:

+ +

7 comments:

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

That golden sauce looks so inviting! I love the combination of cognac and savory spices. Good luck in your new home!

test it comm said...

Those prawns look really good and the recipe sounds tasty. I like the use of the coconut.

SteamyKitchen said...

Wonderful, my friend!!!

Congrats on your move - I'm gonna come visit you and bringing a case of Cognac for you!

xoxo, jaden

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am on the lookout for pomegranate molasses as we speak. I think I will try our local Italian grocers...they seem to have everything. PS The shrimp dish sounds wonderfully flavourful!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your prawns look beautiful! I have made this dish before and it is great. Simple and delicious!

Anonymous said...

those look good already!

http://fooddiary.blogsome.com

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

This looks so good!
Isn't it amazing how some people live...and how some landlords allow it? I hope you get settled in soon!