December 04, 2006

Working My Way Through the 7 Deadly Sins

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

glut•ton –noun

1. a person who eats and drinks excessively or voraciously.
2. a person with a remarkably great desire or capacity for something: a glutton for work; a glutton for punishment.
3. Brilynn of Jumbo Empanadas.

[Origin: 1175–1225; ME glutun < OF glouton < L gluttōn- (s. of gluttō), var. of glūtō glutton, akin to glūtīre to gulp down ]

—Synonyms: gourmand; gastronome; chowhound.

If you go check the dictionary this is precisely what you will find. And it’s no surprise considering what I had for breakfast. I’ve been meaning to make crepes for a while now. There’s a place in Toronto on Queen St. which makes crepes right in the front window of the shop and every time I walked by the smell of crepes would overwhelm me, compelling me to enter. Somehow I always managed to resist, (shocking, I know) telling myself that I could make my own crepes and not charge myself an arm to do so. Well, I finally got around to making them on my own and if it took this long I figured they might as well be decadent cause who knows how long it could be before I made them again? That’s why not only was I making them all for me, but I was also going to slather them with mass quantities of nutella, drape gobs of fruit sauce on top and then drizzle maple syrup, (ie- dump the bottle) gracefully over the plate. I was tempted to add whipped cream, but there wasn’t any in the fridge, curses.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The 7 deadly sins are so much more interesting than the 7 contrary virtues, so go ahead; listen to the devil on your shoulder, be a glutton.

Whole Wheat Crepes

Scant cup buttermilk
1/3 cup whole wheat flour, (you can taste this, so if you don’t like whole wheat, use all purpose)
1 egg
1 T butter
1 t sugar
Tiny pinch salt
Blend until smooth. Pour a couple tablespoons at a time into the hot pan and swirl. Cook on med heat, approx 1 min on each side.
Serves 1 glutton.

Sauce
Blueberries and mixed berries
Wild cherry syrup
Maple Syrup
A little cornstarch mixed with cold water
I didn’t measure any of this, I just threw it in a pan, boiled it, then simmered it until thick.

Putting it together: Spread each crepe with nutella. Fold in half, and then in half again. Pour the berry sauce and maple syrup on top.


Technorati Tags:
+ + +

15 comments:

FH said...

Mmmm!!! Looks like Indian Wheat dosa:) With that colorful sauce , looks out of this world Bilynn.

Helene said...

Yeah! My favorite food~hands down. I like them sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar....but Nutella and whipped cream are evil too!
Your pics make me want to dive in!
BTW: "glutonette" was my nickname for most of my teenage life in my family.

K and S said...

Wow, these crepes look really good. I think my name is under "glutton" too.

David said...

mmm, that sounds wonderful! I love fresh berries as the basis of a tasty treat.

Shannon said...

Bri
Stop doing this to me. I nearly licked my laptop monitor these lookso good. Keep up with the yummy recipes and pictures!

Unknown said...

Makes me think of my time in Kyrgyzstan...they called these blini. But...surely these can't be TOO gluttonous...I mean, they have whole wheat in them! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh lordy, I'll happily partake in the 7 sins with you if this is what it entails!!

wheresmymind said...

Can't have crepes without nutella in my house ;)

Lis said...

holy cow.. I knew the 7 deady sins were the way to go! But no one would listen. I heart you.

foodiemama said...

looks delicious!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's not gluttony...whole wheat crepes...practically health food if you ask me.

Veron said...

I'm a sucker for crepes and yours look absolutely fantastic, I wish I am having one right now!

Jen the Bread Freak said...

Wow, these look excellent! Now I'm feeling the need to make some crepes in the near future, thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Whole wheat would be healthy! The do look super good, I love the blueberry.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap.... Remind me never to visit your blog when I'm hungry!!!

Picture after picture of mouth watering treats! :D