March 14, 2008

Happy 3.14159265358979323846… (Pi) Day

It’s pi day, so here’s my pie. What? It’s a pizza pie. I had good intentions of making a sweet pie, but well, it didn’t happen. Then I realized I had a pizza post to put up and it seemed like an obvious second choice. Pi, π, apple pie, pizza pie, it’s all good.

I feel like pi and I have a lot in common, like the fact that we’re both irrational numbers. Ok so I’m not a number, but I think I’ve got the irrational part down. Wikipedia will also tell you that “Throughout the history of mathematics, much effort has been made to determine π more accurately and understand its nature; fascination with the number has even carried over into culture at large.” Throughout my history, much effort has also been made to determine me more accurately and understand my nature; fascination with me has even carried over into culture at large as well, (and by culture at large, I mean people who read my blog…). Is that too much of a stretch? Well then would you like to know who else I have something in common with? Stephanie of Dispensing Happiness. We both like pizza and she’s chosen it as the theme for this month’s Blog Party. I knew I had to participate as it’s something I try to make at least once a month, always with a variety of toppings. This month I made it with sausage and bacon, both homemade and with homemade dough. Go big or go home.

To accompany your pie, I suggest sipping on a Boozy Kumquat on Quat-rocks. It’ll help make things like me, pi and Quat-rocks seem more rational, or maybe not, but it’ll taste good. It’s potent though, so don’t say I didn’t warn you. The Boozy Kumquat is 1 part chilled rum, (I happen to enjoy Havana Club) to 1 part Kumquat Simple Syrup. Quat-rocks are frozen kumquats and are a million times better than ice cubes because instead of watering down your drink, they add to the flavour. Enjoy.

Sausage and Bacon Pizza π

1 quantity of your favourite pizza dough, (once again, I recommend Joe’s of Culinary in the Desert)
2 sausages, (we made some in butchery class so I used that)
2 slices thick bacon, (Dad gave me some that he had made, it’s so much better than the watery thin stuff you buy in packages at the grocery store)
½ red pepper, thinly sliced
½ onion, thinly sliced
Tomato Sauce
Smoked Gouda, grated

I started by rendering the bacon and sausage, draining off some of the fat and then sautéing the onion and red pepper in the remaining fat. Then I made my pizza as usual, but topped it with grated smoke gouda, one of my favourite cheeses. I baked it at 425F until the crust was golden brown on the bottom.

Kumquat Simple Syrup

2 parts sugar
1 part water
A big handful of mashed kumquats.

Bring the water to a boil.
Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.
Once the sugar is dissolved completely, add the kumquats and remove the pan from the heat.
Allow to cool completely and bottle.

To make a Boozy Kumquat, pour a shot of chilled rum and a shot of simple syrup into a glass half full of frozen kumquats, (or ice cubes) stir and enjoy.


Technorati Tags:

+

35 comments:

test it comm said...

Bacon, gouda, red peppers and sausage pizza... yum!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Bacon and sausage and peppers, oh my! I'm glad other people recognized that it was pi day. Clearly a time when food blogs shine! Too bad I didn't think ahead enough to make something pie-related. The best I did was post about french toast last night =/.

- The Peanut Butter Boy

LyB said...

I'm still in awe of "we made some sausage in butchery class so I used that". Boozy kumquats, I'm there! I loved this post!

K and S said...

Happy pi day!

Deborah Dowd said...

What a beautiful pi! And the boozy Kumquat sounds like a great cocktail- can't wait to give it a try! And I never thought of freezing kumquats- these would be great in Sangria or punch too- thanks for a great idea!

KJ said...

Your pizza looks so good. If I could reach through the screen I would totally snaffle a slice.

breadchick said...

WOW both events covered there! I'm a huge fan of any pizza that has my favourite pork products on it.

I'm standing over your plate at the party...

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Honestly, pizza is my favorite kind of pie for Pi Day!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Pizza pie will get you there, why it even has crust. I'm with you on the irrational part.

Elizabeth said...

Sausage AND bacon... mmmmm!!! (My husband would think he had died and gone to heaven - we usually put one or the other on pizza) And gouda instead of mozzarella. What a cool idea.

-Elizabeth

cookworm said...

Pizza for Pi day, why the heck not? It looks so good, and frozen kumquats sound like a terrific idea! I wish I had time to make a pi pie, but maybe next year. I wonder what one could make for E day, even though that's still a year off (2.7). What's with all this math fun having to happen in winter?

Elizabeth said...

Please excuse me for commenting twice...

The link to Joe's pizza dough is broken (a stray parenthesis at the end of the URL) Here it is:
http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/07/whole-wheat-pizza-dough.html

Mmm, I like that idea of half and half wholewheat. I generally put a sixth wholewheat flour in our pizza dough (and zero sugar and way less yeast) but Joe's dough is intriguing none-the-less.

Cookworm, you don't have to wait until next March for Pi Day. There's another possibility of Pi Day on 22 July (22/7)

-Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Happy Pi Day! I do love the pizza, but it's the quat-rocks that have really piqued my interested. What a great idea!

Peabody said...

This is my wedding date. We got married on that day on purpose because we are math geeks. Our programs had the quiote "Love is like pi...natural, irrational, and very important."

Gretchen Noelle said...

Yum! This looks tasty! Love the idea of bacon on the pizza. I will have to try that soon!

Half Baked said...

My kinda pie! Looks great!

Kelly-Jane said...

When at school I did Pi,

I could do the maths but always thought why?

It wouldn't be why with this pie,

It would be oh my!

Looks goegeous, sigh.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This pie definitely meets my criteria for indulging: it's worth extra time on the elliptical at the gym.;)

Emily said...

I made a pie too!

This pizza pie looks great. Especially with homemade sausage.

Anna said...

Good excuse to get your pizza (pie) up there ^__^! That is most definitely amore...

Annemarie said...

Oh I think pizza counts as a pie - savory pies are just as good as sweet. By the way, you got one of the digits in your post title wrong. Heh heh, just kidding. ;)

Anonymous said...

haha. Funny post.
I never been good at math but i'm a genius at eating pizza. I could gulp this down in less time it takes to say PI.
:-)

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Given how that pizza sounds, I could probably eat that in one sitting--it looks delicious! Also, great write up on the pi similarities, lol

Deborah said...

As much as I love a sweet pie, I think I would rather eat that one right now!!

Annie said...

Clever. Makes perfect sense to me!
Looks good too.

Anonymous said...

pork-tastis pizza = awesome.

quat-rocks = sounds kinda dirty, but i like it.

Helene said...

Looks out of this world! bacon and sausage...hmmhmmhmm

Sarah C. said...

I love the idea of Kumquat rocks!

Elle said...

There is nothing on that pizza that I don't love--it looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of the pi! Bacon, red peppers, sausage yummy and the boozy kumquats...it all sounds so delicious!

Cynthia said...

Gimme the booze first (lol)

ChichaJo said...

Fantastic looking pie/pi! :) And I love that drink!!!

Cheryl said...

That is the kinda pi I wish I had to learn in high school. I would have aced that test. Looks so good.

Gabi said...

Love it- love it! I need to go to lunch now 'cause I'm drooling all over my keyboard after that!
x x x

Lis said...

Now that's a heavenly pizza.. wow it looks amazingly good!

I've talked to Hubbs about how you make your own bacon and we've decided we're going to try it! squeeeee! I can't wait - some of it will surely go on this pizza and I'll also definitely used the smoked gouda - SO GOOD!

xoxo