April 14, 2007

If I Made Two Types of Mousse Does That Give Me Mice?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The recipe I used to make these chocolate and lime mousse/mousses/mice was meant to serve six people. I made it today with plans to let it set overnight and then to serve for dessert tomorrow with company. Not too long after I had put the mousse in the fridge, I found out that instead of five people for dinner tomorrow there would be eight. There was no way that mousse for six would feed eight, not with the portion sizes I serve. That meant I would either have to make more mousse or eat the mousse tonight and make something else for tomorrow. Easy decision. Three of us ate all of the mousse and I’ll be making a cake for tomorrow. I think it was an excellent choice, the combination of bittersweet chocolate and lime was irresistible. Each of us licked the bottom of our glass clean. No sooner were the glasses gleaming than I started to get comments like “I’d eat that again”, “I wish there was more of that”. “When are you making this again?”, “Are you sure there’s none left?”. “Mmm, the chocolate and lime was really nice together”, “I looove mousse”. “I could eat more”, “It’s a good thing you didn’t save these for tomorrow night”, “Yup, that sure was good.” You’d think I fed an army with the mousse, but no, these comments were coming from two people who just kept going on and on about the mousse. It’s too bad for them that I don’t like making the same thing twice…


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Who knows if I could even recreate the same mousse again anyways? It was a combination of recipes for this month’s round of Hay Hay it’s Donna Day, hosted by Helene of Tartelette. HHDD was originally started by Barabara of Winos and Foodies and is now in its 11th edition and going strong with mousse as the theme. Yummy, yummy mousse.


Chocolate Mousse (Adapted from Bon Appetit Cookbook)


¼ cup milk

2 egg yolks

2 T sugar

3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 large egg whites

Pinch of salt


Whisk milk, egg yolks and 1 T sugar in a heavy saucepan to blend. Stir over med-low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate, whisk until smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Transfer mixture to bowl and cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally, about 10min. Beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff. Fold whites into cooled chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours.


Lime Mousse (Adapted from Bon Appetit Cookbook)


½ cup sugar

¼ cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 T fresh lime juice, divided

½ teaspoon unflavoured gelatin

1 large egg

½ cup chilled whipping cream


Syrup: Combine sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to simmer until sugar dissolves and mixtures thickens slightly, becoming syrupy. Remove from heat, add vanilla and 1 T lime juice, refrigerate.

Mix gelatin and remaining lime juice in a small bowl. Let stand until gelatin softens, about 10min. Heat in microwave on short bursts of heat until gelatin dissolves.

Beat egg in a stainless steel bowl at high speed until egg falls in heavy ribbons when beaters are lifted. Gradually beat in the lime juice and gelatin as well as 3T syrup mixture. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water and beat until temp reaches 140F on instant read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Place bowl over a larger bowl of ice and whisk until cool.

Beat whipping cream until peaks form, add in 1 T syrup and combine. Fold the whipped cream into the egg-lime mixture. Cover mousse and refrigerate at least 6 hours.


To serve: Layer the two mousses into glasses. If you have leftover lime syrup, pour it on top. Zest some lime peel and grate extra chocolate for garnish.



Technorati Tags:

+ + + +

34 comments:

Helene said...

Let me be the first one to say "Yummm...did you save me some?" Great entry my friend!
i have newly become addicted to the combination of chocolate and citrus, and I can't get enough. I'll be sure to try this one too!

Alicia said...

Looks delicious Brilynn! I will have to see if my guys like it as much!

Anne said...

I'm pretty sure this is delicious :) Yum...yum..

K and S said...

I've heard of orange and chocolate but lime and chocolate sounds great! Good job!

Anh said...

Chocolate and lime? An unusal but delicious combination! Great recipe!

sher said...

I commend you on your choice! Well done! :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Brilynn, you are so productive! I'm all behind the blogging events *sigh* anyway, lime and chocolate, really sounds perfect!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Mice or Mousse or More Please...sounds like it was really enjoyed by all and I wish I'd had me some!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Bittersweet chocolates [my favourite] and lime together... i never thought of it but yes, i'd say, can i have some please?

Would love to try this one day.

Love the photos!

Deborah said...

Mmmmm, this sounds wonderful!! My husband has become a big mousse fan since I made mine, so maybe I should surprise him with this soon!!

Anonymous said...

Haha! I snorted when I read the title - good stuff! Chocolate and lime sounds like a really neat combo - perhaps I'll have a margarita with a brownie at lunch and give it a whirl! :)

Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Man, your mice look awesome! I can just imagine how good it tasted! Your making me hungry for mousse now...

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Love the chocolate and lime together. Eating it and making another dessert? Absolutely the right thing to do!

Elle said...

Wonderful flavor combination. Great mice. No wonder they wanted more.

Anonymous said...

These are the type of "mice" that we enjoy having. Fabulous entry!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

A nice "mice" combination Bri. It looks delicious and I am pretty keen to try out how the both taste.

Anonymous said...

oh delicious. I would have no problem eating it again and again either, I can tell you this!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it's so goog, it's so beautiful.

Patricia Scarpin said...

My thoughts exactly: chocolate and citrus flavors are wonderful together, Brilynn.

I won't even think that you are cheating by making 2 different mousses. ;)

Sara said...

if i eat your mousse, then my pants don't fit...dang it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bri! Both of your mice sound absolutely delectable - any wonder your guests kept raving about them! I love working with bittersweet chocolate.

Cheryl said...

Chocolate and lime. Now that is a delicious combination. Well done Brilynn.

Maggie said...

I'm always so envious of your posts!

Rachel Rubin said...

Yum! I've really been getting into lime lately. I bet lime and chocolate would be fabulous together.

Mercedes said...

you are hilarious, chocolate and lime, what an unusual combo!

Lis said...

Looks perfect!! I love the chocolate/lime combo. =))

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious Brilynn! Good thing you guys just went ahead and ate it...I can imagine how the flovers work well together :)

I have always thought the same thing for the computer's mouse...if I have more than one are they mice?

Veron said...

way to go brilynn, both mousse - mice look awesome. Never had chocolate and lime together but sounds like an interesting combo.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

What an unusual and appetizing combination of flavors! They look gorgeous!

Freya said...

The lime mousse sounds so good!!

Bron said...

Looks lovely Brilynn, I love chocolate and lime together!

Barbara said...

Brilliant combination Brilynn. I've never tried lime with chocolate. Thanks for joinin in at HHDD.

Dolores said...

I'm not sure I'd have mixed chocolate and lime, but this sounds delicious. Your family will have to start making the blog circuit -- I'm quite sure your mousse is going to wind up on a lot of our menus in the future!