March 02, 2007

Excuse me? Waiter?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Um, I think the waiter forgot about my dessert order. I distinctly remember asking for a slice of creamy lime, ginger and mango meringue pie way back in February and I was really looking forward to it. The chef had apparently used a recipe that was from Dorie Greenspan's book, so I knew it was going to be good. Wait a minute, am I the chef in question? Was I supposed to make it? I just kept hoping it would be delivered to me by a charming waiter with broad shoulders. Uh, yeah… February was a weird month. Then March arrived and I realized that if I wanted that pie, I would have to make it myself and should have done so at least three days ago. If you’re wondering why I wanted the pie specifically for February it’s because February’s round of Waiter, There’s Something In My…, is being hosted by Jeanne of Cook Sister and she had chosen pie as its theme. In my defense, I actually did make a pie during February, a mixed berry pie, it just wasn’t the one I was dreaming about and couldn’t be used for WTSIM because I submitted it into the Amateur Gourmet’s Blue Food contest. If you want to hear more excuses, February’s a short month, I was confused, I thought it was January... or March… they both have 31 days and if it were either of those months, I would still be entering my pie before the deadline, so I’m just going to carry on like I’m on time.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Prior to this one, I’d never made a meringue pie before, but I’d eaten them, and judging by the recipe this one promised to be especially good. Lime, ginger and mango are a dynamite combination. This would also be an opportunity to use my mini kitchen torch which I received for my birthday way back in November and still hadn’t used. Well, the torch was tons of fun and the pie was easily the absolute best meringue pie I’ve ever eaten. Dorie said it was going to be creamy, but this was beyond my expectations. It has an amazing, silky in-mouth feeling and the little bits of sweet mango that pop up in a bite of tangy lime and spicy ginger are divine! And I had no problem with making the meringue either! Meringue has certainly not been my forte, but this one went smoothly and torching it was great fun. It’s definitely a mini torch though, if I had of been more clever I good have made pretty little designs on my meringue. Now I want to make crème brulée so that I can use my torch again. I may have an ulterior motive there in that crème brulée is incredibly tasty, but either way, I’m going to make it, maybe even before the end of March, but let’s not impose deadlines. I will also have to make Dorie’s wonderful Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie again, because it really was phenomenal. It was so good that a chocolate dessert snob was caught going back for a second piece, (larger than the first, no less) and that never happens!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Technorati Tags:

+ + + + +

19 comments:

Just some girl said...

Just so you know, I bought the Charcuterie book that you've been on about - you totally talked me into it. And now I too will make bacon!!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Oooooh, you have a torch! I'm jealous. And that pie looks beautiful, too.

Sam said...

Congrats on making your first meringue pie. It looks and sounds very delicious. I haven't been too active blogging lately, but I love your new and improved layout. Cheers.

Helene said...

I have made this pie a few months ago and fell in love with it...I'll take it over chocolate any day...
Great yummy pictures!

K and S said...

I have a torch too and can't wait to try it on some creme brulee. Your meringue pie looks gorgeous!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Got to go back to check out the recipe for this one. I like the sound of the lime, ginger and mango.

Anne said...

Lime and mango, my two favorite flavor :) I'd like to try this, one of these days. I made some meringue topping before and it tasted a bit eggy. Does Dorie's meringue topping taste nothing of that sort?

Anonymous said...

Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorite pies ever, so this one should be a winner because the combination of lime, ginger and mango must be exquisite, and it looks incredibly creamy... ok, I´m gonna stop writing now because I´m craving some sort of meringue pie and I might just go out and buy one right away.

neil said...

Just goes to show, sometimes you are as never late as you think. Lovely looking pie and I'm with Lydia, I'm jealous you have a torch too.

Anonymous said...

What was your recipe for the meringue? It looks so different than the one I made... it looks a lot creamier or something!
Your pie looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love custard pies, and mango, ginger, and lime is a great combination. Nice work with the kitchen torch. by the way. Brilynn, sounds like it's time to tackle creme brulee.

Maggie said...

Lovely!! Lovely!! I'm coming over.

Anonymous said...

Awesome combo hon! Looking at that, I'd never guess that it was your first meringue pie - looks totally spesh and delish!

Anonymous said...

I love cream pies... this one looks and sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

That is such a neat picture of the torch! One of the many gadets we want to add to our kitchen in the near future. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

Lis said...

Holy crap that looks luscious. I'm jealous of your torch as well. I've got one of those huge ones - it was meant for saudering. Actually that's what it's used for. Not by me.. by W. I don't use it as I'm afraid of an open flame. Although I won't cook on anything that's not gas.

Did you bake something for this post? I don't recall..

Kidding! It really does look luscious and I'd really like some.. although that lime one sounds even better if that's possible. How'd I miss the whole pie section of The Book?

Carry on.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am new to your site (just discovered it and LOVE IT!!!). Is there a recipe posted for this pie? It looks to die for and lime and mangos are my favorites. Thanks.

Brilynn said...

Anne- I really liked this meringue topping, it was very smooth. I think some meringue toppings taste eggy because they're overdone.

Anonymous- I haven't posted the recipe for this one because I took it straight out of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours and didn't adapt it at all. And since I make sooo many recipes out of that book, I don't feel that I should be posting all of the recipes unless I make some changes. That being said, it's a wonderful book and everyone should buy it anyways!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I will buy it. I didn't mean to post anonymously. Thanks.