February 24, 2012

Arancini and Memories of New Zealand


Too often, leftovers go into the fridge after dinner, only to emerge weeks later, in a state that's barely recognizable. But the one food that will never go to waste as leftovers is often the one that there's never leftovers of to begin with. I'm talking about risotto. Every time I make it, I attempt to make more than I think is necessary in the hopes that there will be leftovers. Leftover risotto means arancini. Arancini is delicious.

When I was in New Zealand and staying with the most wonderful family ever at Sublime Wine, we used to start our day by planning what we were going to make for dinner. We were a house full of food lovers and cooks. Pasta was made fresh. Scones with morning tea were warm from the oven. Chicken came from the backyard instead of a package. Wine flowed nearly as easily as water. And risotto was always made with the intention of having enough leftover for arancini the next day.

When I make arancini these days, I always think fondly back to my time in New Zealand. We often cooked without a recipe and that included arancini. Simply take leftover risotto, shape into balls, (arancini means little oranges) stuff it with a cube of cheese, bread and then deepfry till golden. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

This sounds over delicious :)

ChichaJo said...

Arancini is definitely good reason to ensure you have leftover risotto!!

Julius said...

Yummi - Thanks

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

This looks incredibly delicious! I will try them for sure! I hope you don't mind that I have pinned this on my Pinterest?? :)