October 05, 2007

Tasting and Telling


Welcome to Taste & Create II where food bloggers try each others recipes! This event was created by Nicole of For the Love of Food as a way for food bloggers to taste and share each others’ recipes. So often I drool over the photos I see on other blogs but never get around to actually making the recipe. This event is forcing me to do so. I signed up to participate in the second round of Taste and Create and was partnered up with Deborah of Taste and Tell. I don’t think I could have gone wrong with any of the recipes on her site, but, as usual I had a hard time making a decision. So I chose two recipes instead of one. Go big or go home.


The first recipe I tried was Chocolate Coconut Sorbet which is actually from the most popular ice cream book around, David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop. Given the source of the recipe, it was bound to be good. The only problem I had was one of my own, one which I keep having and that aggravates me to no end. I’ve repeatedly let the liquid that I’m melting chocolate into get too hot, which results in a separated and grainy chocolate. This has happened on countless occasions and to a variety of my chocolate concoctions. Enough is enough, I’m vowing that this will be the last time. I want to remake this sorbet properly, because even though my mistakes resulted in a less than desirable texture, the sorbet still had nice flavour. Deborah included a photo of her dog Max when she posted about this sorbet, so I felt it necessary to include one of my cat, Kishu.



The second recipe I replicated was a sauce for Sweet and Spicy Wings. Deborah made this recipe up herself in an attempt to recreate the ‘Amazing Sauce’ from Wingers restaurant. She said that her version was good, but that she still wanted to tweak it a bit. Having never had the ‘Amazing Sauce’ from Wingers, I couldn’t say whether this remotely resembled it. It is good though! My suggestions for improvement would be to add more hot sauce, (possibly some Sriracha chili sauce) and maybe decrease the brown sugar to ¼ cup. But I liked it. The wings were wonderfully sticky and messy. I’ve come to realize that the number of paper towels you go through while eating wings is directly correlated to their tastiness. More paper towels = more tasty.


Sweet & Spicy Wings

1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. ketchup
1 T. honey
2 t. hot sauce (like Tabasco)
2 t. apple cider vinegar


Mix all ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar has dissolved and sauce thickens up a bit.




Technorati Tags:

+ + +

11 comments:

Peabody said...

Oh I could use those wings right about now...we are watching football and those are screaming eat me.

K and S said...

mmm those wings look delicious! and the ice cream looks good too.

Gattina Cheung said...

love your interpretation in the wings' recipe. Lovely tabby *pat pat*

Anonymous said...

The wings look so tasty. I'd go through a fair number of paper towels on those babies. How goes the apartment hunt?

Deborah said...

I'm still trying to decide what to make of yours....so many to choose from!! That sorbet sounds so good right now...

Anonymous said...

mmmm those wings look incredible!!!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That's an excellent evaluation tool for wings, I'll remember that one. Love the kitty.

Cynthia said...

I always find it a joy to cook the food I get inspired to make thanks to my fellow foodie-bloggers.

Belinda said...

Wonderful sorbet, wonderful wings...adorable cat! If this blog event is extended for a third round, I so want to participate. I get tons of inspiration from all of the blogs I visit, and this sounds like such fun. :-)

Anonymous said...

I will have to try the chocolate coconut combo! Looks great!

Leslie said...

everything on your site looks yummo! And I love the kitty picture! Thanks for commenting on my Nutella Brownies..I would increase the amt of Nutella next time!