March 14, 2007

Where's the beef? (Or Bacon?)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


There’s no need to be alarmed, I’m not turning into a vegetarian! I would never do that to you. In fact, there’s a ham curing in my fridge as we speak, (more fun with Charcuterie!) so don’t worry, meat will return shortly. This curry was created because I had some broccoli and cauliflower that needed to be used up and I was in the mood for a little spice so it was a natural choice. Paired with some wild rice it was a pretty easy dinner to put together. Not as easy as prechopped vegetables, readymade sauce and instant rice but I never said this was a 5 minute, tasteless meal. Maybe if I did, I would be the new Dunkin Donuts spokesperson…


Now then, I’ve got a question for you: What do you think of me posting recipes that I’ve sampled from other blogs? Would you rather see something new, or do you like variations of recipes you may have seen elsewhere? From my point of view I like seeing how different people make the same thing and what spins they put on it. Also, the more people I see make a recipe that looks difficult, the more confidence I have in making it myself. But that’s just me, feel free to disagree.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Brilynn’s Veg Curry (Adapted from The Ultimate Hot & Spicy Cookbook, Ed. Jenni Fleetwood)


3 garlic cloves, chopped

1 inch of fresh ginger root, grated

1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and minced

1 T oil

1 onion, sliced

1 small potatoes, sliced

2 T butter

1 T curry powder

Pinch of saffron

1 cauliflower, cut into florets

2 broccoli stalks, cut into florets

2 cups stock

3 T creamed coconut

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed

Handful of yellow sultanas, (I like that word better than raisins)

Squeeze of lemon juice

Salt and pepper


Combine garlic, ginger, chili, curry and oil in food processor or with a mortar and pestle to form a paste.

Heat butter in a large pan, add onion and potato and cook for about 5 min. Add the paste and stir to combine.

Add the cauliflower and broccoli florets and stir well, then pour in the stock. Bring to a boil and then add the coconut. Stir until it melts and combines.

Season well, then cover and simmer for 10 min. Add the chick peas and sultanas and cook, uncovered, for another 12 minutes.

Add saffron, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over wild rice.



Technorati Tags:

+ + +

21 comments:

Anuhea said...

hey...love the recipes on your site! I put a link to you on my site as well! come check me out when you can...in the mean time, keep cooking!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

This is really a fantastic looking dish Bri.
As for your question: I am with you I always enjoy reading how one blogger adapted a recipe from another to make an entirely new dish. So go with it!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

One of the best things about blogging is learning about new blogs, so "meeting" new bloggers through their recipes is great.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I find it enlightening to see the same recipe done differently so I'm very much OK with it. I find I think about what I've seen others do when I get to that place in a recipe and have more confidence in making changes.

Anonymous said...

I like reading about other people's experiences on variations on a theme. You get to learn about how adapting a recipe can change a dish for the better, or just make it different.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a nice dinner. I think it is great to try other bloggers recipes...it is fun to see how the recipes turn out. Everyone is creative in their own way! And there are so many great recipes to try from different blogs, you should share what you have tried!

wheresmymind said...

Wild rice so makes me ick! Rather go with 'real' brown rice :)

Cheryl said...

I will read anything about food. So new twists on current recipes are just as good as original ones.

Your dish looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I think it's always interesting to see how people adapt the recipes of others, whether its cookbook writers or bloggers... I know that I have done it on my blog... go for it!

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

I always enjoy reading people's interpretations of recipes, no matter the source. And if it comes from a fellow blogger, all the better! If I'm not familiar with the blogger, it's a terrific way to expand my reading.

Carol Blymire said...

I'd love to see your interpretation of other bloggers' foods. But I also love what you do on your own. :)

Freya said...

I love chick pea curry AND wild rice, never had the two together though...it looks yummy!

ByTheBay said...

Yum!

I love reading different bloggers' adaptations of other bloggers' recipes. When I started my blog I only posted original recipes but lately I've been posting my adaptations of recipes from other sites, too. I think this is part of the fun of blogging, it's very interactive and we inspire eachother.

Mia said...

A giant ME TOO! on the recipes thing - I love reading about how recipes work for different people. (However I do feel extremely self-conscious if I'm attempting something from a cuisine I know nothing about, and going strictly by a recipe, for, say, ponganalu or something - I'm not sure I would blog about that, even though I make Indian food straight from Indian food blogs pretty much every week.)

Linda said...

i love this recipe. can't wait to give it a go. thanks for posting. the photos are wonderful as well.

Anonymous said...

Hello Bri,

You have made a simple cauliflower dish looks so tempting... Regarding your question , I like to add twist to recipes from other blogger ...

Anonymous said...

Curry looks delicious and healthy! I'm all for putting your spin on any recipe be it from a fellow blogger or an acclaimed chef, make it your own!

Anonymous said...

One big plus of adapting another blogger's recipe [and giving that person credit and a link, of course] is it gives fellow bloggers more exposure, since we all have our own audiences.

Besides, food is often like jazz. We cooks [big name chefs included] do a whole lot more improvising on existing dishes and techniques than we do inventing entirely new dishes and approaches.

Morven said...

Yum - I think I'll make this.

I use the net a lot to search for recipes and I'm finding more and more that I "trust" a blogger's recipe over one from a random site even if it does have ratings. You're right, sometimes it does feel a bit lazy but if it was someone using your recipe wouldn't you see that as a compliment?
Keep up your great work - original or otherwise.

Abby said...

It doesn't bother me to see others' recipes. (Of course I do it all the time on my own blog, so I guess I'm biased.)

But we don't all ready the same blogs. I might not ever see a great recipe if you don't try it for us!

Lisa said...

Yum, that looks so good. I adore coconutty curries. Definitely one to try!

Sultanas. Love that word too. So much more hoi polloi than "raisins."