November 18, 2006

Truffles- The More Accessible Kind

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mmmmm sugar high, mmmmm truffles… For an entire week there was a package sitting on my counter, just waiting to be opened but I wasn’t there to open it. I knew my Canadian Blogging By Post parcel had arrived and I couldn’t wait to get back home to find out who it was from and what was inside. Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict hosted this second edition of CBBP and when I finally got to open my package I found out that it was from Linda of Kayak Soup, all the way from Vancouver! I’ve been reading Kayak Soup for quite some time now and Linda’s always cooking up something great so it was no surprise to find some wonderful homemade goodies in my package. I got some homemade blueberry and pink peppercorn jam, cranberry sauce, apricot-cranberry chutney and red currant jelly. I also received 2 bars of 86% cocoa chocolate and an accompanying recipe for liqueur truffles!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I’m so happy with everything I’ve received, (I’ve already tried the jam and am looking forward to the rest) but the truffle recipe was an especially good choice. This month The Passionate Cook is hosting the 25th round of Sugar High Friday and the theme is none other than truffles. I’ve been wondering what kind I should make and Kayak Soup solved the problem. Linda’s recipe called for cassis, (she had made her own) but said that any kind of liqueur could be substituted so I opted for Baileys. I also decided to make two different kinds of truffles using her recipe as a base. I added the Baileys to half of the mixture and maple syrup and vanilla to the other. I rolled the Baileys truffles in cocoa and the maple-vanilla truffles in chopped pistachios to finish them off. Truffles are ridiculously easy to make, the hard part is trying not to eat all of the chocolate in the process. I think Űter summed it up best when he said: “Don’t make me run, I’m full of chocolate.”

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know this SHF will yield much more interesting variation of truffles than the ones I made, but I think mine are pretty tasty anyways and I’ve consequently already had way more than my share. Thanks again to Linda for the wonderful recipe and package!

Liqueur Truffles by Kayak Soup

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used part 86% cocoa chocolate and part semi sweet chocolate)
1/3 cup unsalted butter
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup Blackberry cassis*

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate over simmering water. Remove from heat, mix in the butter until smooth, then whisk in the cream and wine. Cover and chill until it firms up. Then form round balls (1 to 1 ½ inches) of the chocolate mixture. Roll them in the cocoa to coat or dip in tempered chocolate. Store, covered in the fridge until just before serving.
*Because I used so much of the dark chocolate I added some confectioners’ sugar to sweeten it up a little. I substituted 1/8th cup Baileys in one half of the chocolate and 1/8th cup combination vanilla and maple syrup in the other half.


Technorati Tags:
+ + + + +

17 comments:

foodiemama said...

oh my...those sound incredibly yummy!

Anonymous said...

oh no brilynn...what have you done!!
these look so dangerously delicious -
I love chocolate truffles - especially your version!
must try!

Lis said...

Sounds like a terrific package! I look forward to see if you use any of the homemade jams and sauces and chutney in your wonderful creations!

Those truffles look heavenly - I would never have thought to use maple syrup in them and now I want to taste!!

Unknown said...

Brilynn, so glad it arrived safe and sound and that the truffles were a hit. I make 12 dozen or so at Christmas for gifts! I would have answered sooner, but I have been out with some sort of 24hr flu.

Rachel said...

These look awesome!! I love truffles.

Anonymous said...

ooh, these sound really nice. and what a wonderful package you received.

Anonymous said...

Blueberry jam... now that sounds amazingly yummy! I'm glad you recieved so many delightful things in the post, that must be a great feeling. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

Elle said...

Great sounding package. And the truffles. I was hoping that I wouldn't be tempted by truffles any earlier than next Tuesday so that I could make some for SHF, but only late enough to whisk them all away to my sister-in-laws on Friday. I tend to eat every truffle myself if left to my own devices. Love yours. They look divine. The two versions is a great idea. Think I'll do the same.

Anonymous said...

What a great gift and I love your choice to use Bailey's...my favorite.

wheresmymind said...

hehe...I love that picture of the kid from the Simpsons

Anonymous said...

Ah.... Glad you finally got home to open your package! I recall cassis from my days in France...but, your variation on these truffles look good!

jasmine said...

What a great package. Chocolate truffles...mmmmm....


j

Anonymous said...

Baileys and pistachio... what a great combination. Lovin' it.

This is a definite must try!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Bri, Baileys is yummy as it is but combined with truffles a to die for flavor. Really like the mix. A realy treat.

Jeanne said...

Mmmm Baileys! I actually mentioned that you could use Baileys as a substitute for Amarula Cream in my recipe - so clearly I am already sold on yours! And pistachios are my favourite nuits (stiff competition from macadamias!) - so both your recipes look super-delicious!

Anonymous said...

ooohh baileys and pistachios are both my favourite things!! mmm...

Pille said...

Cream liqueur truffles will be the next ones I'm making!